Thursday, April 27, 2006

Jesus Is Not Cool

There's a new blog that I think I'm really going to like:
Jesus Is Not Cool

On another site I also ran across an excellent article about trying to make Jesus "cool". I especially liked the last paragraph:

Let’s resolve not to “improve” upon God’s message once for all delivered to the saints. Mind you, we don’t need to rush out and become Jerks for Jesus as we share it. We may do so winsomely, persuasively, and with big smiles on our faces. But let’s not alter it to gain social acceptance like a freshman smoking a cigarette. Let's trust God. “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength” (1 Cor. 1:25).

3 Comments:

Blogger One of Freedom said...

I happen to think Jesus is very cool, especially in a radical sort of way. Sure I don't think we should pitch the coolness of Jesus and I definitely don't think we should modify the gospel to fit someone elses idea of 'cool'. But the more I walk with Jesus the more I am blown away by the sheer coolness of the Man.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Joshua Ritchie said...

Hey Cedric,

I haven't gone to read the rest of the article yet, but I'm guessing that a Christian's idea of "cool" and the world's idea of "cool" are totally different.

If by "cool" some mean that Jesus is like The Fonze from Happy Days, then...no way. That's the kind of "cool" I've seen being promoted too frequently...not the 50's cool per se, but you know what I mean.

If by "cool" they mean that Jesus is holy, righteous, immutable, merciful, gracious, sovereign, almighty, all-knowing, eternal, everywhere present, wrathful, judge, just, faithful, good, loving and so much more....well, then I might use a bigger, more majestic word than "cool" cause everything is "cool" these days...restaurants, clothes, movies, cars, music, etc. In fact many of the words I just mentioned (His attributes) can only be ascribed to God.

That's just my personal take on the use of the word "cool". It's not bad, I just think there are loftier words to use to describe our Lord who is both imminent and transcendent.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Chris Ross said...

Hey Cedric!

I've spotlighted your comic tract in my latest post. Hope it brings more folks to your cyber-doorstep.

You're a faithful servant of the Savior. God bless.

Chris
"Jesus Isn't Cool" http://uncool.typepad.com

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home