Thursday, January 26, 2006

Adventures of a Chicken


Charles Spurgeon on evangelism:
"Face the people feeling that you are going to tell them something worth hearing, about which you are quite sure, which to you is your very life." (Spurgeon Gold, p.75)

I can be such a coward sometimes. My wife and I went to Wal-Mart tonight and I was super excited to hand someone a copy of my new tract. I planned to hand one to the cashier as I left. But as she handed me my receipt another man came over to talk to her, and I chickened out. Instead, when I thought she wasn't looking I quickly slid it onto the counter as I turned to leave. All of my body language was screaming "Timid!" Out of the corner of my eye I noticed she had seen my sly move, and her expression told me she thought I was some kind of weirdo.

Isn't it amazing how something as simple as handing someone a piece of paper can make a person's heart beat fast and palms sweat? Yet I think fear is a common reaction when we attempt to share our faith. Maybe that's why more Christians don't do it. Apparently even Timothy struggled with it, because Paul had to tell him "God did not give us a spirit of timidity..." (2 Timthy 1:7)

Then tonight I read the above quote by Spurgeon, and I was encouraged. If I really believe that the Gospel is God's good news to save people, how dare I be timid about it? Lord, please give me boldness.

1 Comments:

Blogger LafeSpace said...

I agree...and great blogs by the way.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home